Indications for Brain Tumor Surgery
- Indications for Brain Tumor Surgery
- Take a tumor sample for a correct prognosis.
- Remove as a great deal tumor as feasible
- Provide direct get right of entry to for chemotherapy, radiation implants, or genetic treatment of malignant tumors
- Relieve seizures and other signs of brain tumor
- To ease the strain exerted by a tumor on surrounding structures
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery
Any form of mind surgical procedure is accomplished underneath anesthesia. The principal mind surgical procedures for brain tumor consist of the following:
- Biopsy: It is the process in which a sample of tumor tissue is taken for laboratory examination.
- Craniotomy: It is the process of removal of a portion of the skull to locate and eliminate the tumor as a whole lot as feasible. This is accompanied by replacing the eliminated cranium. It can be accomplished by way of the following techniques:
- Extended bifrontal craniotomy
- “Eyebrow” craniotomy (supra-orbital craniotomy)
- “Keyhole” craniotomy (unfashionable-sigmoid craniotomy)
- Orbitozygomatic craniotomy
- Translabyrinthine craniotomy
- Craniectomy: It is a surgical treatment that is very much like a craniotomy besides that the eliminated part of the skull is not changed.
- Debulking: The surgical operation to lessen the size of the tumor.
- Partial Removal: The surgical treatment entails the elimination of best a part of the tumor because of the hazard of neurological damage.
- Complete Removal: The surgical removal of the whole tumor. Shunt: The surgical procedure involves the insertion of a drainage system into the brain that will move excess fluid from the brain to another part of the body.
- Ommaya Reservoir: It is the procedure in which a small container is inserted under the scalp which is attached to a tube. This container can be used to:
- chemotherapy drug to the brain and the surrounding cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)
- Remove CSF to study cytology.
- Remove cystic fluid without surgery.
- Skull Base Surgery: It is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove tumors of the skull base.
- Transsphenoidal Surgery: Surgical procedure to remove pituitary adenomas and craniopharyngioma.
- Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy (LITT): A minimally invasive procedure that involves the ablation of tissue with heat.
- Endonasal endoscopy (endonasal endoscopic surgery)